UBot Underground

Wish there was more tutorials

So you would like 142 videos showing you everything there is about each and every node in UBot?

Is that correct?

Yes! http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Well. Time is money. LOL

I am in the process of creating a series of UBot Lessons. There will be a several videos. So I am curious, out of the 142 potential nodes. What Nodes are driving you to the point of frustration.

It's not really that, it's the fact that the documentation is lacking and people buying ubot would like a comprehensive documentation, which is quite logical and nothing to make jokes about.

Making a demo presentation of each node should make for 10 minuts each, which should probably go to some person that's willing to do those.

On the downside, the updates.

But 4x should be here for a while so logic should stay similar.

It's not really that, it's the fact that the documentation is lacking and people buying ubot would like a comprehensive documentation, which is quite logical and nothing to make jokes about.

Making a demo presentation of each node should make for 10 minuts each, which should probably go to some person that's willing to do those.

On the downside, the updates.

But 4x should be here for a while so logic should stay similar.

I agree with Lombi. I don't think it's anything to laugh at.

Documentation and Training are not one in the same.

With any "programming" software that I have ever purchased, the following were usually available, especially if there were no 3rd party options:

(1) Included documentation of each function and use. (Comprehensive)

(2) Tutorials

3rd party options:

(1) Documentation of each function and use.

(2) Tutorials

I wouldn't mind paying for a 3rd party option with a reasonable price, as long as it was up to date and comprehensive. But I do wish that uBot would devote a person to nothing but comprehensive documentation.

More tutorials would always be nice. I think the biggest problem with the current ones now is that things seem to be covered from the perspective of people who are coders by trade to begin with. The main problems I have seen are, moving fast without explaining things as deep as they could be. Sometimes the tutorial may come of as rushing through things, especially without editing in post production. Of course editing out useless parts like dragging a node into the bot creation panel multiple times, or skipping over something to move on, and other various flow ruining mistakes (*John!*) :P . Something that seems so rushed or curt is never good for learning.

Understanding complex things sometimes takes the theory and philosophy to be explained rather than just the practice, that is another thing missed by all the tutorial sites and especially the video ones by the ubot team themselves. I believe that the pinnacle of tutorial producers is 3dbuzz.com honestly something to look at if any of you plan on making tutorials or continuing to make them. Those people approach tutorials in such a way that a moron could learn php or C# like a pro.

I must say the best site of all is John's but still he seems to hate post production and sometimes feels unprepared.

While still on the subject of tutorials, ubotbuddy asked before what specific nodes need going over, and I would have to say; All the simple things that can be built upon on ones own like: understanding how to use lists (making,adding to,outputting, and adding to), apply proxies in different ways, how to combine features and use nodes to support each other, rotating and looping, if's, etc etc. Of course each of such tutorials should also reflect the theory behind what is being practiced. That really is of paramount importance to people without coding backgrounds or to those who may over complicate ubot for some reason or another. It is sometimes hard to believe how easy some things are to do, I guess it's just human nature to over complicate.

Honestly I think that with really good tutorials ubot can take a much stronger hold on the market, especially since when you break down much of what it can do and how easily it is once learned: it beats the pants off zenno poster... People need to see that, and right now they do not.

I see different things asked for here..

Documentation - Standard, and goes over what each node does.

Functionality Normally expressed in Documentation.

Tutorials - This is actually open to interpretation of the User using Ubot to be honest. While 1 coder in Ubot might build something one way, or use a function one way over what another User would goes to experience. Experience is learned by getting your hands dirty, watching the available videos, read the documentation that is available (and Im sure will be updated as things progress), and also asking questions and learning from others.

I like all of you started out didn't know what to do with Ubot. I purchased in January 'ish of this Year. Didn't really start using it till i think March/May and asked TONS of questions in the forum. Most of which I found out by asking were actually already available in the forum by searching it. ** Much of what is asked for now is available and answered already in the forum.

I like many others in the forum are more than willing to help anyone learn. I know many as well as myself have created video examples, screenshot examples, responded in depth about how to do something and even at times offered the raw code to do something. Trying is the key. Now im not saying no one is trying to learn. But Try to do something. You get stuck search the forums for an answer. Can't find it make a post asking for some help. On average I think there is anywhere from 30-75+ posts in the forum a day (dont quote me on that) I actually sit on here all day long looking for things if people need help. I dont have to. But its my way to give back and help others progress.

I guess what im getting at is this. Try to do something. If you get stuck be specific in your request for help, and you will gladly get a response from someone. I believe every post has always gotten a response. And was helpful in some way.

Much kinda like this post. If there is something in specific your looking for say so.

I think that their is plenty of coverage of what ubot does and what most functions do. I have been using it for over a month now and have found that all of the information is fragmented, so many tutorials but no way to find them.

I think it we had a wiki it would really bring things together, and we would see less threads like this one.

A wiki would be a good idea as well!

TJ, I agree with your post, however what about people who aren't forum goers or who don't even look at documentation? A lot of the market for IM and other web based business out there aren't exactly "smart". Not to sound crude or anything but over the years of marketing I have realized the sad and simple truth that if you want to market to the masses you need to be prepared to market to unintelligent people.

Most people these days get a large portion of their computer education from youtube, and can't be arsed to read documents or forum posts, and many people still don't even understand the power of forums, or are "shy" or withdrawn.

Now I know the answer to that argument may be "well then why the hell would such dimwits even need or want ubot?"

So I answer with this... marketing is half delivering what is needed to those who want/need it, and half MAKING people believe they need it. I think that's truly some food for thought for the ubot staff, as to how to break out from micro niche market into a wider audience. Having extensive video training and video promotion is just the beginning of such a campaign.

There are always people who are clueless and on the fence about buying ubot or similar programs, and most of them are the types that are also cheap or frugal. They would rather spend their money on football and basketball games for their xbox360 than something like scrapebox for instance. Hell most of the newbies on the warrior forum don't even own scrapebox, and don't even realize it can be bought for 57 bucks as opposed to 97. Now those people could be ubot clients, but the price scares them and their ignorance of what it can or cant do scares them as well.

Then we have people who have done little research and still want to compare ubot to zenno. The various "on the fence" people are just sitting there waiting to be picked, but the marketing and tutorials are not doing the picking. After all, indecisive people are looking to be coddled, that is an important factor to sales. Some may think of tutorials as more of a courtesy to the community or a privilege, but honestly if you want to increase sales of a product it NEEDS to cater to the masses.

I'm trying to illustrate the obstacles that are in place here that keep ubot from reaching it's full market potential.

Finally, the people who aren't directly in IM or SEO or anything like that. How are they reached and sold to? That's a lot tougher, these are the people I spoke of that marketing is designed to attract by MAKING them believe they need it. That is done with clever marketing and outside the box thinking, the same thing that commercials do on television. "Do I really need a sham-wow? Maybe it may be handy, wow look at what I can do with it, I'm sold!" That is what ubot sorely lacks in both it's training videos and it's marketing videos. It's only really attracting intelligent people who most likely will just learn a normal programming language some day anyway.

Thoughts?

Ubot is a work in progress and it is difficult to develop a program and keep on top of the tutorials. Ubot is constantly changing. There are a lot of people asking for the developers to constantly add things to the program.

Although it is a difficult balancing act, things are not well organized with in the site as finding instructional/how to material.

I search a lot of times looking for information and I just can't find it on the site or in the blog. Perhaps one person should be given the task of putting the pdf;s, tutorials etc in one place so people can find them.

I know at one time there were members making there own how to video's for ubot and posting them to Viemo. Perhaps some advances to help in this by making instructional videos for the others and post them, again. I think this would be helpful and help keep the costs down.

Just my opinion

I think the biggest problem with the current ones now is that things seem to be covered from the perspective of people who are coders by trade to begin with. The main problems I have seen are, moving fast without explaining things as deep as they could be.

I think this hits the nail on the head for quite a few of the tutorials. I would be following them and suddenly some command is just dragged in with no indication as to how its done. There is a world of difference between tutorials created by programmers and people who live and breath UBot and those created by educators who understand sequencing and the appropriate way to deliver bite sized chunks of information. I'm not complaining, mind you, I've pretty much figured things out (largely on my own) and am just reflecting on how much easier (and how much more professional) it would've been had there been a true tutorial series created right from the start. Kudos go out to all those who have taken the time to create tutorials but this thread itself testifies to the fact that things are a bit weak in that regard.

As a professional educator I would be happy to offer any input I can in the creation of such a series but while I have degrees in linguistics I am hardly the man to create programming videos... this would require a team consisting of tutorial script writers, code script writers, graphic designers, "professional" voices, a camtasia or adobe premiere expert to put it all together, director, producer, and a partridge in a pear tree (tis the season)...

This may sound like a lot but if such a series were to find its way to YouTube, the professionalism of such a well done presentation would speak volumes about the software and the results would no doubt be massive...

Anyway, just my 2¢...

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif