UBot Underground

Hi guys I need help on scraping email addresses on various websites. Normally I scrape email addresses using this code "(\w+@[a-zA-Z_]+?\.[a-zA-Z]{2,3})" but when I encounter an email address with spaces like this "contact @ gmail . com". What is the right code to scrape email address even that one with spaces?

Thanks

Here ya go...it's universal:

[a-zA-Z0-9\._\-]{3,}(@|AT|\s(at|AT)\s|\s*[\[\(\{]\s*(at|AT)\s*[\]\}\)]\s*)[a-zA-Z]{3,}(\.|DOT|\s(dot|DOT)\s|\s*[\[\(\{]\s*(dot|DOT)\s*[\]\}\)]\s*)[a-zA-Z]{2,}((\.|DOT|\s(dot|DOT)\s|\s*[\[\(\{]\s*(dot|DOT)\s*[\]\}\)]\s*)[a-zA-Z]{2,})?

Ok I modified your regex...this is NOT an optimal solution, but the regex works. (I say it's not optimal because I ultimately had to grab it by position...but you can modify that) The regex now grabs with or without the spaces. If you need me to explain what exactly I added to the regex let me know.

email_bich.ubot

John

• Like 2

I'll explain anyhow for anyone else reading the thread...

I added this:

(\s|)

before AND after the @. What it says is:

Look for a space or nothing at all...whenever you have a "nothing" on one side of a pipe it makes it optional meaning the space does not need to be there. I hope that helps someone else as well!

John

Let me talk to the "Threadmaster"...(Buddy of course...he runs a tight ship! http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

John

PS I say this because he already started a thread that has helpful tips, etc so we don't have to keep looking up the little things we need often.

• 3 months later...

Hi John

I had a play with the regex - Kreatus' tutorial point outs on the following thread helped loads http://ubotstudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6489-regex-101-and-beyond/

So I downloaded the regex cheatsheet as suggested by Frank and also found the following site which helped test the code in real time - similar to the tool that frank uses http://regex.larsolavtorvik.com/

Playing around a little I came up with the following code

(\w+(\s|)@(\s|)[a-zA-Z_]+?\.[a-zA-Z_]+(\.|)[a-zA-Z]{1,3})

I added the following to your original code

+(\.|)[a-zA-Z]{1,3})

This code should now also work with emails like .co.uk and also subdomain emails -

I think i have understood the code correctly - was a little unsure of the escape character \

got the idea from the (\s|) you placed to look for spaces -

seems to be working but need to test properly -

thanks

abbs

hi just wondering if anyone can help

Ive setup a quick test page here

Ive set the regular expression to return a list - however it will only scrape the support@gmail.com email address and no more

any idea why this is

thanks

Excellent - working perfect here too -

I think it was because i was using a set command to find the regular expression instead of add to list

thanks a million