UBot Underground

(Semi) Comprehensive Examples On Element Parent, Child, And Sibling Needed

Hey all,

I am at my wits end on this one.  For almost a year I have been having limited success when it comes to using the "$scrape attribute" function in UBot.  I have almost always defaulted to using "$find regular expression" after wasting hours with the former.  However, I know I am holding myself back.  I have finally made some examples below to illustrate my thought process.  I am hoping that some savvy Ubotters here can both tell me what I am actually telling Ubot to do, why I am thinking about this the wrong way, and what should the code look like to get the results I am expecting. 

I pretty certain there is some overlap as to the 'error of my ways'.  Also, please excuse the bouncing back from #variable to %list, depending on whether I was expecting one or more return values.  Overall, "e01", "e02", etc. stand for "example 1", "example 2", etc.  I hope that makes sense.  I understand the results of example 1 and 4, but not the others. 

Lastly, I have gone over the example on http://wiki.ubotstudio.com/wiki/Element_Sibling . While I partially understand it, I do not know why it requires nesting one "$element sibling" in another.

Thanks in advance!

on load("Bot Loaded") {
    load html("<html>

<body>
    <p name=\"p1\">
      <h1 name=\"p1h1\">P1H1</h1>
      <h2 name=\"p1h2\">P1H2</h2>
      <h3 name=\"p1h3\">P1H3</h3>
      <div name=\"p1d1\"> P1D1
        <p name=\"p1d1Subp1\"></p>
        <p name=\"p1d1Subp2\"></p>
        <p name=\"p1d1Subp3\"></p>
      </div>
      <div name=\"p1d2\"> P1D2
        <p name=\"p1d2Subp1\"</p>
        <p name=\"p1d2Subp2\"</p>
        <p name=\"p1d2Subp3\"</p>
      </div>
    </p>

<p name=\"p2\">
      <h1 name=\"p2h 1\">P2H1</h1>
      <h2 name=\"p2h 2\">P2H2</h2>
      <h3 name=\"p2h 3\">P2H3</h3>
      <div name=\"p2d1\"> P2D1
        <p name=\"p2d1Sub p1\"></p>
        <p name=\"p2d1Sub p2\"></p>
        <p name=\"p2d1Sub p3\"></p>
      </div>
      <div name=\"p2d2\"> P2D1
        <p name=\"p2d2Subp1\"></p>
        <p name=\"p2d2Subp2\"></p>
        <p name=\"p2d2Subp3\"></p>
      </div>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>")
}
divider
set(#e01,$scrape attribute(<name="p1h1">,"tagname"),"Global")
add list to list(%e02,$scrape attribute($element child(<name="p1d1">),"name"),"Delete","Global")
set(#e03,$scrape attribute($element parent(<name="p1d1">),"name"),"Global")
set(#e04,$scrape attribute($element offset(<name="p1h1">,0),"innertext"),"Global")
set(#e05,$scrape attribute($element child($element offset(<tagname="p">,0)),"name"),"Global")
add list to list(%e06,$scrape attribute($element child($element offset(<tagname="p">,0)),"name"),"Delete","Global")
add list to list(%e07,$scrape attribute($element sibling(<name="p1h1">),"name"),"Delete","Global")
set(#e08,$scrape attribute($element sibling($element offset(<tagname="p">,0)),"name"),"Global")
add list to list(%e09,$scrape attribute($element sibling($element offset(<tagname="p">,0)),"name"),"Delete","Global")
divider
e01: h1 (OK)

e02:
returns: <nothing>
expecting: [p1d1Subp1,p1d1Subp2,p1d1Subp3]

e03: 
expecting: p1

e04: P1H1 (OK)

e05: 
expecting: [p1h1,p1h2,p1h3,p1d1,p1d2]

e06: (same as above except that the call returns to a list)
expecting: [p1h1,p1h2,p1h3,p1d1,p1d2]

e07: 
expecting: [p1h2,p1h3,p1d1,p1d2] (or at least p1h2)

e08:
returns: p1h1 (this is the child)
expecting: p2 

e09:
returns: [p1h1]
expecting: p2 (or from the results of e08 above, at least [p1h1,p1h2,p1h3,p1d1,p1d2] )

Thanks botsimmer,

Much appreciated.  Unfortunately, money is tight right now and I noticed that the most important tutorials are only paid.  I'll have to find another solution.

Also, I am concerned that the attributes may still have some problems when it comes to programming, specifically from looking at this thread...  http://www.ubotstudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14290-parent-child-and-sibling-learninghelping-search-bot/  Although this was back in 2013, I thought things may have changed.