UBot Underground

data subscription business model

Thought I would post this thread so people could share there thoughts or also if someone has implemented could share.

As a lot of people know one of the areas I work on mostly is scraping.

Something i'm trying to get into is data subscription.

This is where you sell monthly subscription to a website with access basically to a database of information on a particular subject one example business leads. a other could be expired domains etc.

The end user can carryout searches/filter etc.

so rather than sell the software you sell subscription and use your software to populate the websites database.

the backend part of scraping and getting the data into a websites database in the right structure is pretty easy.

some of the gaps I have in my knowledge is the frontend part.

My first thoughts were to go away and code some .asp site that has the specific functions for membership and displaying database details in a table

but i'm pretty sure this could be accomplished with wordpress.

so I guess my question is has someone created a wordpress site with the follow characteristics.

• Multi tier membership
  • displaying data from database in a table allowing users to query and filter export etc.
  • limiting amount of queries etc based on subscription plans.

I know people might think just sell the software instead but certain niches you tap into a whole new market outside of IM and at the end of the day people want things instantly these days.

thanks

Kev123

This is exactly the type of model I am working on Kev.

Membership plugins can be used to restrict access to any webpage based on the subscription/product people purchase so I have been thinking of putting specific queries/forms that a user can use to filter data on specific pages and assigning them to specific membership plans.

The only part of your initial questions I haven't figured out how to do is limit the number of queries based on subscription plan.

It might be also an option to email them their data. I had a subscription to a similar service a couple of years ago.

And every week I received an email with the data I was paying for. So no need to build a fancy website with a lot of automation. 

Just let them subscribe to the individual service and then you email them the correct files every week / month.

Dan

Business leads can work well if you can filter it down to high value leads for reps, and also refresh the data as needed for them, most will know where it’s coming from but you save them days of trawling the net. Website just needs to be a point of contact, as has been said email it to them. Each will more than lightly want it in a custom format anyway.

One option I have been looking at for allowing user to select and filter data is using bigprof.com/appgini/ to generate a PHP DB app that I can include inside a WP site.

It will do just about everything I need (I think)... the only obstacle I have is how to tie in the User WP user into the AppGini user registration system and keep it in synch.

I'm look for other options too so any suggestions are more than welcome.