UBot Underground

Ubot didnt save my project :)

so LUCKLY windows recovered the project but from a yesterday version, that means all todays work = lost :)

i clicked save as and overwritten the old file and boom MUCH LESS CODE. :)

really pissed off.

also today i switched to code view then to node again and there was no UI and some defines i made.

anybody have ever experienced this?

i hope its not a problem with ubot.

• Like 1

yes its a common problem. It usually happens after you recover a file and then continue working on it. You should NEVER recover a file. you won't have this problem. Always open your saved file, and always save it regularly.

• Like 1

yes its a common problem. It usually happens after you recover a file and then continue working on it. You should NEVER recover a file. you won't have this problem. Always open your saved file, and always save it regularly.

i didnt recover it..

I'm glad it is not me, I was beginning to thing that I must have dreamed that I wrote a ream of code, only to find it all gone. I suspect that it has something to do with the recovery but I have lost tons having never used the recovery option, I actually thought it might have been that I didn't use the recovery option that may have caused the problem. It seems to offer a recovery regardless of whether you close the application properly or not, I'm sure that wasn't always the case.

After several instances and finally convincing myself that I may be stupid but not that stupid that I keep quitting out of something I should have saved I have got into the habit of manually making a backup copy as a matter of routine, and since then that has been a life saver.

There can be few things more soul destroying than having to rewrite several hours of coding.    

• Like 1

I lost about 7 hours worth of work the other day ... Was saving consistently, but when i reloaded after some final mods, it opened up a version from several hours earlier... since then it has done it several times.

So now instead of just doing a save, i am also doing a save-as using a different file name... The hope is that if the main one gets reverted to an older version for some reason, the secondary will still be in tact. Thats the hope anyway.

Other than backing up all major versions of my bots, here's what I do:

All my bots are saved to a Google Driver folder (can be Dropbox etc.) and I work from that folder directly. Google Drive keeps the last ~100 revisions of small files like *.ubot.

post-695-0-79120900-1398727957_thumb.png

It's really easy to manage and doesn't require any work on your part.

All the best,

Marton

Other than backing up all major updates of my bots, here's what I do:

All my bots are saved to a Google Driver folder (can be Dropbox etc.) and I work from that folder directly. Google Drive keeps the last ~100 revisions of small files like *.ubot.

http://www.ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifrev.png

It's really easy to manage and doesn't require any work on your part.

All the best,

Marton

I am doing the same exact thing. :)

• Like 1

This issue happens a lot of times when you switch between code view and node view. 

But it only happens when there is some sort of error in your code. Not a "full" error, but some stuff the UI doesn't like.

I haven't it figured out completely but so far that's what happened to me a couple of times. 

So here's what I do:

1. Copy my .ubot file before I start working on it. 

2. When I'm in code view (80% of the time). I regularly save my work. Never lost anything  without switching to node view!

3. Before switching to Node view I save my work and I Copy-C the code into clipboard.

4. I switch back to code view and check the line numbers. If it's correct back to Node view and continue working there.

I haven't had the issue since a while. But when it happens again, I try to isolate the code that is responsible for that.

Dan

• 3 months later...

I just lost a large portion of a bot I have been working on for about week.  :-(

Thanks for the info about Google Drive.

I have been using Dropbox but didn't pay extra for the file revision.

I'll create a new folder to save my bots on with Google Drive

• 2 years later...

!!! I can't believe this just happened to me. So much work just went down the toilet. I'm like, What part of S A V E doesn't this understand? I saved multiple times, cntrl+s and all, repeatedly while I was working. Then I ran a test that got stuck in a loop that I overlooked. I managed to close out of the session, and when I reopened the project: All the days work - GONE! Can't believe how angry I feel. It is so pissingly stupid that something like this even begins to happen. . . And how long have people been experiencing this here? I sure do wish there was a reasonable way to put Ubot code through Git. It's hard to beat a Git repository. This hurt so bad, I'm seriously thinking of switching over to all Python when this project is finally finished - whatever it takes. 

• 3 weeks later...

consider use dropbox or and google drive.

I use those two. And i always use Alt + F + S instead of Ctrl + S, cause i read somewhere that Ctrl + S sometimes not save.