UBot Underground

Ubot and the Real World - Part II

Hi all,

Following on from this thread I decided to create a video of the whole setup of a Raspberry PI computer integrating with ubot - essentially bringing processed data from ubot (tweets, weather reports, #variables whatever!) and having those read out when they appear.

So, to demonstrate this I used a web form, a php Mysql database and FTP along with a Raspberry PI with some text to speech code.

In the video you will see me demonstrate the process without the need for a power supply tied to a wall socket (demonstrating portability), you'll also see the Wifi dongle is using a local wifi network and you will also see a short clip of ubot running the process inside the ubot platform towards the end of the video.

I hope you enjoy it! Please forgive the shakeyness.

• Like 2

What's happening on ubot is it's in a continual loop looking at the database for any data. When it receives the data it saves it as a php file to my computer, then uploads it via FTP to my server.

The rPI is continually looking for any changes to the php file and if it spots a change (different text than what was previously added) it will read it out.

This is cool kev! :)

I am curious on where you are going with the raspberry and ubot,i am also working on a couple of raspberry's but not with ubot.

It is very cool to see what kind of crazy things people are doing with their raspberry.

I was thinking of developing it further into a piece of equipment for partially/completely blind people to get news and advanced warnings as quickly as possible.

That is a solid idea Kev!

I have a blind customer and i have worked with him a lot so i know how they communicate.

Most of the blind people are using iphones and ipads with voice over so when they get a mail or message they use the iphone to read it for them and they use voice to text to write.

If i where you i would make a database and a iphone app and when news and warnings are added to the database you send a push notification to your iphone app about the news/warning.

The blind people uses the iphone voiceover to read the push notification.

With a good idea as this you should look in to crowd funding so you can hire some developers to make the iphone app or any other coding things you are not that good with yourself.

Anyway good luck with your project and i will for sure keep a eye out on this.

If you're short on time, HOLY CRAP watch this anyway!

JUMP to 6:30 to see this in action, then reverse to see how it's setup, everyone.

The possibilities here are so vast....I'm going to dream some up and come back and post my ideas, and then maybe kev will build them and we can make an amazing demo video for how anyone can use ubot to build...well...robots!!